When people think about planning a trip to New Zealand, they may not be very familiar with what there is to do. Instead of hoping to make a good choice when you get there, or doing thing that you are familiar with, it is better to take some time and learn what some of the best things to do in New Zealand are.
New Zealand is a sovereign island country in the southwestern Pacific Ocean. The country geographically comprises two main landmasses—the North Island and the South Island and around 600 smaller islands. New Zealand is situated some 2,000 kilometres east of Australia across the Tasman Sea and roughly 1,000 kilometres south of the Pacific island areas of New Caledonia, Fiji, and Tonga. Because of its remoteness, it was one of the last lands to be settled by humans. During its long period of isolation, New Zealand developed a distinct biodiversity of animal, fungal, and plant life. The country’s varied topography and its sharp mountain peaks, such as the Southern Alps, owe much to the tectonic uplift of land and volcanic eruptions. New Zealand’s capital city is Wellington, while its most populous city is Auckland.
It does not take long to create a list of things that have to be done during a trip to New Zealand.
- Excitement in Queenstown – Anyone that is interested in adventure sports needs to head to Queenstown. There they will find the mountain range called the Remarkables. There is also Lake Wakatipu with its crystal clear waters. Visitors can enjoy a wide range of activities that include jet-skiing, boating, river rafting, skiing, hiking, biking and much more. It is one of the best places to enjoy outdoor adventure.
- Excitement in Wellington- Wellington architecture and eclectic vibe give this city a funky personality. The city has a popping nightlife, tons of art galleries and cafés, a beautiful harbor which is easily walkable. Be sure to hit some of the museums like the Museum of Wellington, Te Papa, and the Great War Exhibition.
- Visit Hobbiton– If you’re a The Lord of the Rings junkie, New Zealand is perfect for you. This is where they did all the filming, and throughout the country, you can take Lord of the Rings tours and visit Fangorn Forest, Gondor, and where Frodo destroys the one ring. Most of the sets were taken down, but a bit of the Shire and some of the hobbit houses still remain on the North Island.
- Excitement in Christchurch– Christ Church has funky bars, more markets, new restaurants, shops, and exhibits. If you’ll be there for a few days, be sure to check out Canterbury Museum and Quake City, and be sure to ride the gondola, as well.
- Take part in adventure sports- New Zealand is the adventure capital of the world, where most people blow their budget on a wide range of exciting activities, from bungy jumping to skydiving to white-water rafting. There are a million activities to choose from: you can skydive basically anywhere; Queenstown is home to Shotover jets, ziplines, and bungy jumps; and there’s caving, zorbing, transalpine hiking, paragliding, and so much more.
- Wine Tasting – A short ferry ride from Auckland to Waiheke Island transports people to wine country. In addition to walking around the vineyards and country side with its amazing scenery, it is easy to indulge in some of the best wines that are made in New Zealand.
- Enjoy Milford Sound – Milford Sound has plenty to see. People will go sightseeing in the air or they can choose to paddle a sea kayak around. They will experience the fiords, mountains, waterfalls and much more during their trip to this area.
- Sailing – New Zealanders are well known for their passion about sailing. It is possible to take a trip on an America’s Cup yacht or spend the evening on a dinner cruise sailing around the waters of New Zealand.
- Visit a glacier – Not everyone can say that they have seen a real glacier up close and personal. During a trip to New Zealand it is not only possible to see a glacier, it is possible to go for a hike on one. For those that want a less strenuous way to see a glacier, it is okay to take a sightseeing trip in the air.
- Whale Watching – The sight of a huge mammal in the ocean is something that is impossible to describe. Those that travel to New Zealand and the coastal town of Kaikoura can take a cruise to see the whales in the ocean.
- Get to the beach – A trip to the beach in New Zealand is great. Whether you choose to relax in a secluded cover or if you want to take a horse and go galloping through the sand, the opportunity exists.
- Go to a spa – New Zealand offers many resorts where people can get all of the pampering that they want. The spa facilities and the amenities that are offered at the spa are sure to please everyone.
New Zealand has so much to offer. It cannot all be taken in on one trip. The ore that a person learns about what to do in New Zealand, the more they will want to visit it. The combination of scenery, adventure, relaxation and city life are sure to interest the visitors to New Zealand.