Now Skycity has Launched its Online Gambling Site for Kiwi Punters to Play the Choice of Pokies
How it All Started
As New Zealanders spend millions of dollars on non – kiwi casinos overseas, with no benefit to the country, lately SkyCity revealed its plans that it has been involved in deep talks with the Department of Internal Affairs about the launch of their online casino. Even though the casino would not be under NZ law, Skycity has offered to pay about $40 million in tax. This is to soften the criticism from local pokies operators who may feel threatened by the advantage of SkyCity. However, if the department declines Sky city says it will go towards their community trust grants. Skycity will have its online gambling site.
Though SkyCity has launched their offshore-based online casino, in New Zealand online casinos cannot operate directly out of the country however Kiwis are allowed to gamble online. Skycity has seen the market potential and jumped on the opportunity. It is estimated that Kiwis spend almost 400 million yearly on other European online casinos. Now, SkyCity wants its $180 million pieces of the online casino pie.
Even though SkyCity cannot directly market their online casino to New Zealand gamblers, they will use Search Engines to reach players. Internal Affairs Minister Tracey Martin stated that she would be taking the motion for new laws regulating gambling to Cabinet in April.
Online Casino by Skycity
Although SkyCity is confident that Martin will push for the laws to change so as to allow NZ-based online gambling operators; they cannot wait two years. That is why they have opted for legal offshore online casinos which are accessible to Kiwis.
The SkyCity online casino has started functioning in August 2021. It is fascinating to see how popular this site grows in Europe and New Zealand. Most reports claim that the SkyCity online casino will be based in Europe, alongside many of the most popular online gambling sites in the world. The company has advertised to New Zealanders if they are interested in what’s being offered as New Zealanders are able to gamble through sites based in other countries.
This casino site offers casino games. Sports betting is massively popular throughout most of New Zealand, yet this casino has limited experience in this market. The exact number of casino games and betting limits have not yet been established.
Games to Play
The platform offers a range of games from pokies, table games, and live dealer games. Due to collaboration and as it’s currently accessed by Kiwi players only; it does have a mobile app option. SkyCity is licensed in Malta with an agreement between a Maltese subsidiary (SKYCITY Malta Ltd) of SkyCity.
Bonuses & Promotions
The deposit you get is 100% but the limit is up to only NZ$100. The deposit match bonus will require a 35x wager and you get within 30 days in order for the withdrawal to be eligible. The player will also receive 70 free spins which will comprise of 10 free spins a day, for 7 days. An added bonus is that the free spins require no wager minimum, however, they will only be available for selected games. The online platform will not be linked with the land-based casino in Auckland, which means the promotions will not be linked either.
VIP & Loyalty
This online platform is relatively new, therefore, VIP and Loyalty programs are not established yet. But players can brace themselves for the possibility of lucrative programs in the future.
They accept various deposit methods like Visa/MasterCard, Maestro, Skrill, Neteller, PaysafeCard, Interac, Ecopayz, Sofort. It also includes Cubits, Wirecard, Zimpler, Trustly, and 13. iDebit. For withdrawal Visa/MasterCard, Maestro, Skrill, Neteller, Sofort, Cubits, Trustly, and Zimpler.
About Sky City Casinos
SkyCity Entertainment Group is an entertainment and gaming business owning and operating casinos in New Zealand mainly in Auckland, Hamilton, and Queenstown and in Australia at Adelaide and Darwin, alongside a variety of restaurants and bars, luxury hotels, conventions centers, and Auckland’s Sky Tower. SkyCity casinos often depend to a large degree on several hundred high-stakes gamblers, often from East Asia, who may gamble hundreds of thousands of dollars in one visit to a casino.
The SkyCity group owns six casinos in Australia and New Zealand – SkyCity Auckland, SkyCity Hamilton, SkyCity Queenstown, SkyCity Wharf Casino, Adelaide Casino, and SkyCity Darwin.
Six Casinos of Skycity Group
- Adelaide Casino is a product of SkyCity Entertainment Group in June 2000. It has 90 gaming tables and 990 gaming machines. It has the only table gaming licence issued out by the South Australian Government, giving it a monopoly over the gambling business in the state.
- SkyCity Auckland is New Zealand’s largest casino. Located in Central Auckland, it provides table and slot machine gaming, with 1647 gaming machines and 110 gaming tables. The facility includes the 328 metre tall Sky Tower, two hotels, convention centre, a 700-seat theatre, and more than 20 restaurants and bars with regular live bands, DJs and other entertainment. It opened on 2 February 1996. By 2017 it will also house a convention centre catering for up to 3500 guests, costing $402 million.
- SkyCity Darwin, formerly known as the MGM Grand Darwin, is the only casino in Darwin, the capital of the Northern Territory Australia. This Entertainment Group bought the casino, which includes a 5 star hotel from MGM Mirage, on 23 June 2004 for $140 million US. SkyCity Darwin houses 700 gaming machines and 40 gaming tables.
- SkyCity Hamilton is a casino in Hamilton, New Zealand, that opened in September 2002. It has 339 gaming machines and 23 tables, a restaurant and a bar, with live music and other performers on Friday and Saturday nights. It is part of the Riverside Centre on the Waikato River, which includes bars, restaurants and ten-pin bowling all operated by SkyCity Hamilton.
- SkyCity Queenstown opened in December 2000. It has 160 gaming machines and 18 gaming tables.
- SkyCity Wharf Casino is a boutique casino in the heart of Steamer Wharf. There’s lots of fun to have on the gaming tables so get a group together and learn to play Poker, Baccarat and Blackjack.
SkyCity cannot to run a New Zealand-based online casino. But the government can’t stop SkyCity from launching one offshore. It will most likely be based in Malta and will accept transactions in NZ dollars and will target Kiwi gamblers.
Aware that it would be unregulated, SkyCity wants anti-pokies advocated and the Problem Gambling Foundation to know that it will install anti-problem gambling mechanisms and is offering to pay the right tax rate on any earnings. Alternatively, they are proposing donating a percentage of their earnings to charity.
Note that Gambling has been a part of New Zealand’s culture for hundreds of years. In 2003, the government here passed a Gambling Act that deemed all forms of gambling illegal; unless directly authorized by the government. It’s to make them understand that Gambling establishments inside the country need to obtain a license. They should also pay tax to the government in order to legally operate.
The Gambling Act of 2003 applies to online gambling, as well. Unfortunately, lawmakers in New Zealand have not passed any legislation to allow New Zealand-based companies to offer internet gambling options. This means any gaming sites caught operating inside the country will face heavy fines, at the very least.
That doesn’t mean gambling options in this country are limited to real land casinos. New Zealanders can legally gamble online through sites based outside the country. Click here to play at online casinos from New Zealand and enjoy real money pokies in your own NZD.