Understanding video poker is not that tough. This is why this game is so popular. It’s a truism that casino games are only popular because they are easy enough to understand that the general public is willing to play. This means games like video poker are designed so that you can learn how to play in a few minutes. Here is how to select the right video poker game.
Here are the basics of how to play video poker along with some of the distinctions and subtleties you should know about if you want to get some good out of it.
Here you will learn how to select the right video poker game and start winning at it here.
Table of Contents
The Basics of Video Poker Games
In this game, you bet between one and five coins, and the computer deals you a random hand made up of five playing cards. All these are virtual, but the chances are the same as what you’d see with a real deck of cards.
You need to select which cards you want to keep, press a button, and the computer replaces the rest of those cards with new cards. This is done randomly using the same probabilities you’d see with a freshly shuffled deck of cards.
If your hand is a winner; as defined by the paytable; you get paid as per the strength of the hand. This is, again, ascertained by the game’s paytable. That ends the game.
You repeat this sequence until you run out of money or decide it’s time to quit.
But is also a fact that not all video poker games are the same, and even among specific variations, the games can differ based on their paytables.
Here you will also find the differences so that you can make decisions about which are the right video poker games for you to play.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Right Video Poker Game
If you’re a New Zealand player and you want to choose the right video poker game, here are some factors you should consider
- Payout percentages and odds of winning – Check the payout percentages and odds of winning for different video poker games. You want to choose a game that offers a high payout percentage and good odds of winning. Look for games that have a payout percentage of at least 95%.
- Game volatility and risk level – Different video poker games have different levels of volatility and risk. Some games are low-risk, meaning that they offer small payouts but are more likely to pay out more frequently. High-risk games offer larger payouts but are less likely to pay out. Consider your risk tolerance and choose a game that matches your preferences.
- Betting limits and available jackpots – Check the minimum and maximum betting limits for the video poker games you are considering. You want to choose a game that offers betting limits that are within your budget. Also, check the available jackpots to see if they are worth playing for.
- Special features and bonuses – Look for the Right video poker games that offer special features and bonuses. Some games offer wild cards, multipliers, or bonus rounds that can increase your chances of winning. Look for games that offer these features and choose one that appeals to you.
Basic Rules of Playing the Right Video Poker Game
Playing any game requires learning and being aware of some basic rules and regulations and this is the same while playing the right video poker game. There are different variants of video poker games and every game has different sets of rules, however, you can learn basic rules with me from the below section.
Jacks or Better
- The objective of Jacks or Better is to create a winning hand by obtaining at least a pair of Jacks or a higher-ranked hand.
- The game is played with a standard 52-card deck, and no wild cards are used.
- The player places a bet and is dealt five cards. They can choose to keep or discard any number of cards.
- After selecting the cards to be discarded, the player receives new cards in exchange for the discarded ones.
- The resulting hand determines the payout, which is based on a predefined paytable.
Bonus Poker (Double Bonus and Double Double Bonus)
- Bonus Poker variants, such as Double Bonus and Double Double Bonus, are similar to Jacks or Better with additional bonus payouts for specific hands.
- In Double Bonus Poker, extra payouts are awarded for certain four-of-a-kind hands, while in Double Double Bonus Poker, additional bonuses are given for various four-of-a-kind hands and three-of-a-kind hands.
- The basic rules of Jacks or Better apply to these variants as well, including the minimum hand requirement of a pair of Jacks or higher to receive a payout.
Learn more – Double Up Poker Machine
- Deuces Wild is played with a standard 52-card deck, where all the 2s (deuces) are wild cards. This means that a deuce can be used as a substitute for any other card to form a winning hand.
- The minimum hand required for a payout is usually three of a kind.
- Due to the presence of wild cards, the paytable is adjusted to accommodate the increased chances of hitting stronger hands.
- In Deuces Wild, the ranking of hands may differ from traditional poker due to the inclusion of wild cards.
Learn all the rules of the game and play right video poker game with great strategy and correct understanding.
Right Video Poker Games and Variations
To win video poker games, the first thing you have to do is choose the right video poker game. You have dozens of video game types to select from, but most of them aren’t worth playing. Among the games that are worth playing, not all the paytables are good enough to warrant your action.
Some of the most popular types of video poker variants that players should focus on are the following games:
- Jacks or Better
- Deuces Wild
- Joker Poker
- Double Bonus
- Pick’em Poker
You need to pay attention to the pay tables for the games you choose, too. Even a change from nine coins to eight coins for a particular hand can lower the game’s expected return by 1% or more. These changes in payouts can also affect the correct strategy for playing each hand is, too.
If you’re a serious video poker player, you might play 40 hours a week as well. $25 per hour multiplied by 40 hours a week is $1,000/week in extra losses just due to the game selection.
1. Jacks or Better Video Poker Games
Jacks or Better is the most basic video poker game and the original. Everyone interested in video poker should start by learning how to play Jacks or Better. You have no wild cards, and any hand with a pair of jacks or higher results in a payout.
For the most part, the best Jacks or Better games are those that pay 9 for 1 chance on a full house and 6 for 1 odds on a flush.
Many Video poker players call this a 9/6 Jacks or Better game, or 9/6 JoB. They also call this a “full pay” Jacks or Better game.
If you’re playing this game properly, the expected return is 99.54%. If you put $100,000 into action on this game, for example, you would expect to get $99,543.90 back in winnings. Your net loss would be $456.10.
If you’re an advantage player, you wouldn’t play even this best possible version of Jacks or Better unless you were getting a good rebate from the slots club or some other kind of casino promotion to make your mathematical expectation over 100%.
In short, you’d want a situation where putting $100,000 in the machine returned at least $100,000.
2. Deuces Wild Video Poker Games
Deuces Wild is mostly the second video poker game most players learn. All the twos in the game are wild cards. Hence, they replace whatever card you need to make the best possible hand on the paytable. The presence of four wild cards, of course, results in a wildly different strategy for the game.
A full-pay Deuces Wild video poker game pays 15 for 1 for a five-of-a-kind. It also pays 5 for 1 for a four-of-a-kind. If you are playing with the right strategy, you’ll find a 100.76% return on this game over time. Bet $100,000 on Deuces Wild, and you’ll see $100,760 in payouts or a profit of $760.
Full-pay Deuces Wild is not mostly played now, but another version is popular with video poker lovers — “Not So Ugly” Deuces Wild.
Not so bad Deuces Wild pays off at 16 for 1 for a five-of-a-kind and 10 for 1 for a straight flush. The expected return for not so ugly Deuces Wild is 99.73% if you play perfectly.
You’ll often see this version of Deuces Wild called “NSUD” on video poker websites.
3. Joker Poker Games
You’ll also see Joker Poker called Jokers Wild, and the game is a sort of cross between Jacks or Better and Deuces Wild. The big difference is that there’s only one wild card—the Joker. You can find a wide variety of Joker Poker games across the country.
One version of Joker Poker pays even money for a pair of kings or a pair of aces, and this version is often called “kings or better” Joker Poker. The best pay table for kings or better Joker Poker pays 20 for 1 for a four-of-a-kind and 7 for 1 for a full house.
You’ll sometimes find some variation in the payout for a royal flush, too. 4,000 for 1 is the more common payout, and the payback percentage for that version is 100.65%. At one time, you could find such games that paid off at 4,700 for 1 for a royal flush, and that version had a payout percentage of 101%.
Another more popular version of Joker Poker only offers a payout for two pairs or better. Obviously, this game requires a different strategy.
4. Double Bonus Poker Games
It is a variation of Bonus Poker, and both games are just like Jacks or Better. You don’t have any wild cards in Bonus Poker or Double Bonus Poker. The big difference is that you get paid a lot more for a four-of-a-kind in these games. Full houses, flushes, and straights usually have slightly better payouts, too. This is one of the right video poker games.
The game makes up for this by only paying even money on two pairs, which normally pays off at 2-for-1 odds in Jacks or Better. The ideal versions of Double Bonus Poker pay 10 for 1 for a full house and 7 for 1 for a flush.
This game is called 10/7 Double Bonus by savvy video poker players, and the expected return is 100.17%.
The only drawback to Double Bonus Poker is that the best strategy for the game is harder to learn than the strategy for Jacks or Better or Deuces Wild.
5. Pick’em Poker Games – Right Video Poker Game
Pick’em Poker might be the most unusual variation of video poker on this list, as it only offers you two choices to make on every hand instead of 32 choices.
Pick’em Poker uses a deck of 52 cards, but you start out with two cards instead of five. Then, you get two more cards. From the second set of cards, you opt on which card to keep; the first two cards are kept by default.
Then, the game deals with two more hands, and you get paid off on the hand ranking of your final five-card hand.
Pick’em Poker players are almost like a video poker version of a five-card stud instead of a five-card draw.
A full-pay version of Pick’em Poker has a payback percentage of 99.95%, which is amazing considering that the strategy for playing is much easier than with other video poker variations.
How to find the best place to Play the Right Video Poker Game?
- Start by researching and identifying reputable online casinos that offer a wide selection of video poker games. Look for licensed and regulated casinos with a good track record.
- Look for online casinos that have a positive reputation among players. Read reviews and testimonials from other players to get an idea of their experiences.
- Verify if the casino is licensed and regulated by a reputable authority, such as the Malta Gaming Authority or the UK Gambling Commission. A valid license ensures that the casino operates under certain standards and regulations.
- Check if the online casino has a dedicated section for video poker games. Review the variety of games available, such as Jacks or Better, Bonus Poker variants, Deuces Wild, Jokers Wild, and other popular variations.
- Consider the software providers the casino works with, as well-known providers often offer high-quality video poker games with better graphics and gameplay.
- Explore the bonuses and promotions offered by different online casinos. Look for welcome bonuses, deposit bonuses, and ongoing promotions that can enhance your video poker gameplay.
- Pay attention to the terms and conditions associated with bonuses, such as wagering requirements, game restrictions, and expiration dates. Ensure that the bonuses are suitable for video poker games and can be effectively utilized.
By doing a little research about any online casino in New Zealand, you will be able to land on to the right video poker game which will fill your life with utmost excitement.
Video Poker Strategy Guide
A well-liked casino game called video poker combines poker theory with the thrill of pokies machines. Understanding the proper methods will significantly improve your chances of winning and increase your enjoyment as a player from New Zealand. Let’s learn some of the basic strategies together.
- Know the Game Variations – Learn how to play popular right video poker games in New Zealand including Double Bonus Poker, Deuces Wild, and Jacks or Better. Your strategy and decision-making will improve if you are aware of the individual rules and payment schemes of each game.
- Practice Proper Bankroll Management – Establish a fixed budget for your right video poker game sessions to efficiently manage your cash. Stick to your spending plan and pick gaming devices with wager sizes appropriate for your cash to prolong playtime and reduce possible losses.
- Understand Paytables and Payout Percentages – Different video poker machines and casinos may have varying paytables and payout percentages. Because they have a direct influence on your prospective profits, make an effort to comprehend how these aspects operate. Your ability to select machines with higher odds and maximise your overall earnings depends on your understanding of paytables.
- Take Advantage of Promotions and Bonuses – Keep an eye out for deals and incentives that New Zealand-based businesses or online casinos are offering. These may provide extra benefits, like bonus credits or free games, extending your gaming and maybe raising your earnings.
- Practice Free Play and Demo Modes – Use the free play or demo options that online casinos provide before making a real money wager. You may do this to become more comfortable with the numerous game varieties, test out various strategies, and hone your abilities without putting any money at risk.
This is the basic video poker strategy you should include in your gameplay while playing a safe, secure and successful Right Video Poker Game.
That’s all you need to know regarding How to Select the Right Video Poker Game. This is how you have to choose video poker games to choose, but remember that the next step in the process is to analyze what kind of perks the players club offers you at the casino. You’ll earn comps points in the form of cash rebates, rooms, meals, and shows via your membership.
To sum it up, selecting the right video poker game in online casinos requires careful research and consideration. By following the steps mentioned in this article, you can enhance your gaming experience and find the right video poker games available. Remember to assess the game selection, evaluate casino reputations, compare bonuses and promotions, and familiarize yourself with game rules and the right video poker strategy. With these guidelines, you’ll be well-equipped to choose the right video poker game that suits your preferences and offers exciting gameplay opportunities.
So, go ahead and enjoy the thrill of playing the right video poker game in the comfort of your own home at a reputable online casino! Happy gaming!