In New Zealand, “pokies” is the colloquial term for slot machines. These are electronic gaming devices that offer various games of chance. Players spin the reels, and if they align certain symbols, they can win prizes, including cash.
Pokies come in both traditional, physical forms found in casinos, bars, and clubs, as well as digital versions available at online casinos.
Table of Contents
Components of Online Pokies
Pokies machines in New Zealand, like pokies machines in many other parts of the world, consist of several key components.
Here are the primary elements of a typical pokies machine:
- Reels: Display symbols for gameplay.
- Symbols: Determine winning combinations.
- Paylines: Patterns for winning.
- Bet Controls: Adjust wagers.
- Spin Button: Starts the game.
- Bet Max: Places maximum bet.
- Auto-play: Auto-spin feature (digital).
- Paytable: Shows payouts and rules.
- RNG: Ensures randomness and fairness.
- Coin Pokies(traditional): Insert coins.
- Display Screen (digital): Shows game interface.
- Sound System: Adds audio effects for engagement.
Working of Online Pokies
Online pokies work in a very similar way to physical pokies machines.
Online pokies are like a fun story of luck. Each time you play, you press a button to spin the reels. It’s a bit like a roll of the dice. These spinning reels have pictures on them.
The computer, called the Random Number Generator (RNG), quickly picks a number that matches these pictures.
For instance, if it chooses the number “314,” and that number fits the dragon, knight, and treasure chest pictures, you win.
But on the next spin, it might pick a different number, like “500,” leading to different pictures and no win. It’s all a surprise, like a story where you’re the main character, and the RNG is the one telling the tale of what happens.
- 1. Random Number Generator (RNG):– Online pokies use a Random Number Generator, which is like a digital dice that constantly generates random numbers. This ensures that the games are fair and unpredictable.
- 2. Symbols and Reels:– The pokie screen shows reels, typically three to five, with various symbols on them. When you spin, these reels start moving.
- 3. Betting and Paylines:– You place a bet by choosing the amount you want to wager and the number of paylines you want to activate. Paylines are the lines that symbols must align on for you to win.
- 4. Spinning the Reels:– Clicking the spin button makes the reels spin. The RNG determines where the reels stop.
- 5. Symbol Combinations:– When the reels come to a halt, the symbols on the paylines create combinations. These combinations can be winners or not, depending on the game’s rules.
- 6. Special Symbols:– Many pokies include special symbols like Wilds and Scatters. Wilds substitute for other symbols, while Scatters can trigger bonus features.
- 7. Bonus Rounds:– If you get the right combination or trigger a bonus symbol, you might access a bonus round. This could be free spins, a mini-game, or other exciting features.
- 8. Payouts:– Winning combinations result in payouts, and the amount you win depends on the symbols and your bet. The paytable in the game provides details on potential payouts.
Learn More – How Do Online Pokies Work?
How to Play Pokies NZ?
Pokies machines are gathering the interest of many Kiwis and hence we all are interested in learning about how to play pokies in nz.
So, let’s learn how to play pokies in NZ.
Before starting any game you must understand the terminologies to expert the game.
Below are some of the terms by which we can master the game of pokies in NZ.
- Reels: These are the vertical sections on the Poker machine that display various symbols. Traditional pokies typically have three reels, while modern ones can have five or more.
- Paylines: Paylines are the lines on which winning combinations of symbols must appear to result in a payout. Online Pokies can have multiple paylines, and you can choose how many to bet on.
- Symbols: Symbols are the images or icons that appear on the reels. Common symbols include fruits, numbers, and various thematic icons.
- Wild Symbol: The wild symbol can substitute for other symbols to create winning combinations. It can greatly increase your chances of winning.
- Scatter Symbol: The scatter symbol often triggers bonus features, such as free spins or bonus rounds, regardless of its position on the reels.
- Paytable: The paytable displays the payouts for each possible combination of symbols and provides information on the game’s rules and features.
- Bet Level: This represents the amount you are betting per payline. You can usually adjust your bet level to control your overall wager.
- Max Bet: This button allows you to place the highest bet possible on a spin with the current coin value and a number of paylines.
- Coin Value: It determines the value of each coin you’re betting. You can adjust this to control your total bet amount.
- Autoplay: Some pokies offer an autoplay feature, allowing you to set the number of spins to be played automatically without manually clicking for each spin.
- RTP (Return to Player): RTP is the theoretical percentage of bets that a pokie machine is expected to pay back to players over time. It usually ranges from 95% to 98% in most games.
- Jackpot: The jackpot is the highest possible payout in a pokie machine. Some games offer progressive jackpots that grow over time until someone wins.
|Spin/Play||Start the game by spinning the reels.|
|Autoplay||Automatically spin the reels for you.|
|Bet/Coins||Adjust your bet size (coin value or coins).|
|Max Bet||Place the maximum bet allowed.|
|Paytable/Info||Access information about the game.|
|Lines||Set the number of active paylines.|
|Gamble/Double Up||Take a chance to double your winnings.|
|Sound Settings||Control game audio settings.|
|Exit/Quit||Leave the game and return to the lobby.|
|Menu/Settings||Access additional game options and settings.|
How To Start The Game of Pokies?
After you’ve become comfortable with the design of the online pokies game of your choice, it’s time to start spinning the reels.
Please be aware that in order to fund your account and play for real money, you must be a registered member of an online casino.
Setting Your Bets
Before you can start spinning the reels, you’ll need to adjust your bets. The buttons on your screen are straightforward and include the following options:
- Credit Size Button: Use this button to change the value of your wager. It allows you to set how much you want to bet per line.
- Credits Per Line Button: This button lets you modify the number of credits you want to place on each payline.
Spinning the Reels
Once you’ve determined your bet amount and the number of credits per line, you’re ready to play. Here are the primary buttons you’ll encounter:
- Spin Button: This button is the heart of the game. It initiates the spinning of the reels, commencing your game with the wager level and credit size you’ve chosen.
- Max Button: If you’re feeling daring and want to bet the maximum amount of credits possible, this button lets you do just that. It also starts the reels spinning at the highest bet level.
- Play/Start Button: When you’re prepared to dive into the excitement of your online pokies game, this is the button you’ll press to start the game.
- Auto Button: In some online pokies, you’ll find an “Auto” button. This handy feature allows you to automate your spins, so the game continues without manual intervention. Your selected coin amount and number of paylines will be used for these automatic spins.
Bonus Features and Gamble Option
Keep an eye out for additional buttons like:
- Gamble Button: This button may appear when you’ve achieved a win. It allows you to gamble your winnings for a chance to increase them.
- Start Feature Button: This button may occasionally appear in your game, typically when you’ve triggered a special feature within the pokies. It signifies the beginning of that feature.
What Do Lines Mean in Pokies?
Paylines are like paths on the spinning reels of a pokie machine. When certain symbols line up along one of these paths, it leads to a payout.
Paylines can be in various forms, including horizontal lines that go straight across the rows, diagonal lines that slant, and even zigzag patterns.
|Paylines||Description||Examples of Pokies Games|
|1 Payline||Traditional and simple, wins occur on one line.||“Break da Bank,” “Fruit Fiesta”|
|5 Paylines||Multiple paylines offer various ways to win.||“Starburst,” “Gonzo’s Quest”|
|10 Paylines||More paylines provide increased winning opportunities.||“Thunderstruck,” “Cleopatra”|
|20 Paylines||These games offer a balanced mix of wins and complexity.||“Queen of the Nile” “Dead or Alive”|
|25 Paylines||Provide a substantial number of ways to form winning combinations.||“Avalon II,” “Where’s the Gold“|
|243 Paylines||Numerous winning possibilities, offering excitement and variety.||“5 Dragons” “Immortal Romance”|
|1,024 Paylines||A plethora of paylines for numerous winning combinations.||“Hot Ink” “White Orchid”|
Imagine you’re playing a classic pokie machine with three reels and a single payline. In this simplified scenario, the game has the following symbols:
- Lucky Sevens
Your goal is to form winning combinations of these symbols along the single payline to receive payouts. Each symbol has its own value, as outlined in the game’s paytable.
Let’s say it’s structured like this:
- Cherries = 2x your bet
- Bells = 5x your bet
- Bars = 10x your bet
- Lucky Sevens = 20x your bet
Here’s how paylines work in this example:
- You place a bet of $1 on the single payline and spin the reels.
- The reels stop, and the symbols appear on the payline. Let’s say the result is as follows:
- Reel 1: Cherries
- Reel 2: Bars
- Reel 3: Cherries
- This combination of symbols forms a winning payline, as it consists of two Cherries and a Bar.
- You check the paytable, and you see that two Cherries are worth 2x your bet, and a Bar is worth 10x your bet. So, your total win for this spin is 2x + 10x = 12x your bet, which is $12.
- Your $1 bet resulted in a $12 win because the specific symbols aligned along the single payline, creating a winning combination.
Rules of Online Pokies in NZ
- Legal Age: You must be 18 or older.
- Choose Licensed Casinos: Pick licensed and regulated casinos in New Zealand.
- Responsible Gambling: Set deposit and loss limits, and play within your means.
- Fair Play: Ensure the use of certified RNGs for fair outcomes.
- Privacy and Security: Check for SSL encryption to protect your data.
- Banking Options: Use secure deposit and withdrawal methods.
- Game Variety: Select from various pokies to match your preferences.
- Bonus Terms: Be aware of wagering requirements and withdrawal limits on bonuses.
- Customer Support: Ensure access to customer assistance.
- Taxation: Typically, winnings are not taxed, but consult a tax professional if unsure.
How to Play Pokies Online in New Zealand?
To play pokies online in NZ, it is imperative to learn about the gameplay and casinos in NZ.
- Choose Reputable Casino
- Login and Explore the Game List
- Choose your favourite game
- Learn about the game, its rules, paylines, and bets
- Place your bets
- Click and Spin the Reel
- If you win then enjoy and withdraw your winnings
Suggested Read – New to Pokies? Tips to Play Online Pokies Machines
Where to Play These Pokies?
In New Zealand, you can play online pokies at various reputable and licensed online casinos.
There are multiple online casinos in New Zealand where you can choose and play exciting online pokies games.
Here is a list for you
Choose your favourite one, Log in, choose your game, and start playing.
To play pokies in New Zealand is an engaging and accessible form of entertainment for those who seek a bit of excitement and a chance at winning.
By selecting a licensed and reputable online casino, understanding the rules and guidelines, and embracing responsible gaming practices, players can embark on a thrilling journey in the world of online pokies.
Whether you prefer classic 1-pay line pokies or more intricate 1,024-pay line games, New Zealand offers a diverse range of pokies to cater to different preferences.
With the right knowledge and a touch of luck, playing pokies in New Zealand can provide a unique and enjoyable gaming experience.
How to Play Pokies and Win?
To play pokies and increase your chances of winning,
Choose a reputable casino.
Set a budget.
Understand game rules and the paytable.
Be responsible, as pokies are games of chance with no guaranteed strategy for winning.
Is There a Technique to Play Pokies Online?
While there’s no foolproof technique for winning pokies, you can improve your odds by choosing games with higher RTP (Return to Player) percentages and betting within your budget.
What Are the Types of Pokies Present in New Zealand?
In New Zealand, you can find a wide variety of pokies, including:
– Classic 3-reel pokies
– Video pokies with multiple paylines
– Progressive jackpot pokies
– Themed slots based on movies, TV shows, and more
Does the Odds Change Depending on How Much I Spend?
Your bet size can influence your potential winnings, but it doesn’t necessarily change the odds of hitting specific combinations.
The odds are primarily determined by the game’s design and the Random Number Generator (RNG) that ensures randomness.
What Is a Paytable?
A paytable is a chart that displays the value of each symbol in a pokie game and explains how various winning combinations are formed. It provides insight into which symbols are most valuable and any special features or bonuses.
Can I Play Pokies for Free in New Zealand?
Yes, many online casinos in New Zealand offer the option to play pokies for free in demo mode. This allows you to enjoy the games without risking real money, making it an excellent way to practice or simply have fun.